in Fall 2018
(scroll down for Fall 2019)
We created UVoteBC.
Students defined a Class Constitution, setting values for work ahead.
Each student kept an Activity Log to document and reflect on what they were doing, including reading, writing, communicating, meeting, strategizing, editing, doing outreach, and so on.
Groups formed around functional areas of the site:
- Media monitoring and fact checking
- Making descriptions of and research on the systems accessible
- A "How to Vote Quiz"
- A Podcast with the voices of other students
- Design of the site
- Tracking party and MLAs' positions
- Case Studies on other countries' electoral systems
- and Memes!
- Media outreach and publicity
In every case, the groups fell short of their goals. Some by more than others. Most of this was down to communication and time-commitment. It is very, very challenging to get groups of 3-9 students to produce material together, given that their schedules are so variable.
In the end, a lot of instructor and TA intervention to keep the groups on track was necessary.
In Fall 2019
Students created six separate websites under the banner of Elect2019.ca.